I’m a chatty, outgoing and passionate team leader, consultant, software tester and product owner. Communicating with people is my raison d’être. I enjoy working in agile processes and sharing my experiences with others.
Where I come from
My background is in languages and linguistics, but I fell happily into IT and software testing in 2005 when I applied for a summer job translating a software handbook. Since everything about software was new to me, I had a lot to learn – and I loved learning it. I realised pretty quickly that there is a place for people from a non-technical background in this technical world. Even now, I see myself as still “translating” – just between different groups of people.
Where I’ve been
From starting out writing that handbook (as it turned out, there was no translation source), I moved naturally into software testing since I needed to find out whether the features I was documenting worked as discussed, or at all. In addition, the product I was documenting was/is an automated testing tool, so I started learning about software testing processes and methods very quickly.
Armed with my discoveries, I soon started contributing to the discussions about new features. Eventually, I became the product owner and a consultant for the tool before becoming the head of the quality department at the company. I count myself lucky to have witnessed and participated in the growth of a software product over ten years (and counting) – it’s a great source of experience and constant source of inspiration and learning opportunities. I’ve expanded on my experience by working as a consultant on customer projects and by talking with other testers, developers and product owners on my travels.
- 2001 – 2005: University of York: French and German (Language and Linguistics), BA (Hons). Grade received: First Class Degree
- 2006 – 2007: University of York: Phonetics and Phonology. MA. Grade received: Distinction
- November 2016 – ongoing: Head of Software Quality and Test Consulting
- June 2014 – November 2016: Head of Test Consulting, BREDEX GmbH
- August 2009 – ongoing: Product Owner, BREDEX GmbH
- January 2010 – June 2014: Test Consultant, BREDEX GmbH
- October 2007 – January 2010: Software Tester, BREDEX GmbH
- October 2007 – June 2014: Customer communication, marketing and event organisation, BREDEX GmbH
- August 2005- October 2006: Technical documentation and marketing, BREDEX GmbH
- January 2017 – ongoing: guest on Software Testing Show Podcast
- April 2015 – ongoing: Mentor with the Speak Easy program
- August 2014 – ongoing: Co-organiser of the ASQF regional software-testing meetup in Niedersachsen
- 2011 – ongoing: Eclipse Committer, co-project lead since 2015
One of the great things about my job is that I can be involved in conferences about testing, agile and development:
- Program Committee member for Eurostar 2017
- Program Committee member for Eclipse Converge 2017
- Track Chair, Eurostar 2016
- Member of a group to improve diversity for Eclipse Con Europe 2016
- Member of the Program Committee for the Heise Developer World at the CeBIT, 2016
- Advisor for the European Test Conference 2016
- Program Chair and organizer for the Project Quality Day at Eclipse Con Europe in 2014, 2015 and 2016
- Open Space Moderator, Agile Testing Days (Germany, Netherlands, Sweden) 2014 – 2016
- Track Chair, Eurostar 2014
- Organiser of the Eclipse Testing Days from 2010 – 2013
Courses and certificates
- Team management seminar, January 2016
- ISTQB Certified Test Manager, February 2015
- ISQI CMAP certification, September 2014
- Trainer for CMAP course, September 2014
- Certified Scrum Product Owner, 2014
- Management and communication seminar, November 2013
- Communication seminar, 2013
- Writing course at the Akademie für Publistik
- ISTQB Foundation Level, August 2011
- English (native language)
- German (fluent)
- French (very good)
- I moved from England to Germany in 2005 and became a German citizen in 2014.
- I’ve played violin since I was nine and now play in a Celtic folk band called Naván. I also sing and play guitar.
- I keep up with my French language skills by taking conversation classes.
- I learn standard and Latin-American dancing with my husband – we dance twice a week.
- I’ve been (lacto-ovo) vegetarian since I was sixteen.
- I’ve been described as a force of nature by multiple people. I take it as a high compliment.
- I’m highly extroverted. You’ll usually find me in the middle of the crowd. After conferences I have a ‘low’ because I miss the people.
- I’m an avid World of Warcraft player – I play it in intensive phases then take a break.
- I enjoy baking – and feeding the results to other people.
- I’m a black belt in karate, and have just started training again after a long break.
- My favourite animals are ducks and squirrels.
- I’m terrified of velociraptors.